5 Reasons Building Maintenance Gets Ignored – And Why It Shouldn’t
Last week we talked about storm damage and the repairs that can come afterward. This week, let’s talk about a closely related subject—building maintenance. This subject is relevant to both commercial and residential buildings alike. You may be surprised to know the reasons building maintenance goes ignored is largely the same for both groups.
Let’s face it, the main reason maintenance doesn’t happen is because it’s not glamorous. In fact, it’s pretty boring for most people. With nearly 15 years of experience in construction, we’ve heard every reason under the sun as to why homes and buildings weren’t kept up. Ultimately, they can be boiled down to these 5 top reasons. Which are you guilty of?
- We forget. In this instance, the home or business owner is aware regular maintenance should be done, but for one reason or another, it gets forgotten. Perhaps you’re too busy, or you just haven’t gotten around to hiring someone to do it. Maybe you don’t have a system in place, even though you always meant to. Any way you look at it, the maintenance gets overlooked until it becomes a problem—regardless of the well-meaning attitude at the start.
- We ignore it. You know the old saying, “Ignorance is bliss”? A lot of people use the excuse of ignorance for why they don’t keep up on the necessary maintenance of their residential or commercial buildings. Maybe they truly don’t know how or they don’t know anyone who can help them.
- We don’t think it’s needed. This is typically a group of people who have taken an “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mentality. While there can be some truth to the matter, it’s not always the truth. In fact, it can lend itself straight back to ignorance not being your friend. Unless you take the time to get out and have a close look, how will you know what needs fixing?
- We thought someone else was doing it. This is a variation of the ignorance is bliss version, but with a purpose. Perhaps you’ve hired someone to be doing the maintenance, while you’re doing what you do best. While it’s still ignorance, you were expecting your paid employee or contractor to be doing their job.
- Funds are low. Sometimes repairs and upkeep can be costly. Other times, you’d rather put your hard earned money to use in different ways. Often, we have to balance the demands of many competing needs and maintenance doesn’t even make the list. While it’s understandable, maintenance costs will sooner or later catch up. Likely, with a higher price tag due to disrepair. It’s best to prioritize at least some cash, however little, towards monthly maintenance. This way, you can ward off those heftier fees down the road.
Obviously, letting repairs and regular upkeep lapse can cause potential problems with much higher price tags down the road. Getting over these typical mindsets so you’re able to get on track is a good start. Figure out which “reasons” you identify with most and write down a few ways you can overcome them. Then get started today.
We’re Here to Help
If you’re in need of making home repairs due to disrepair, Baratto Brothers can help get your home or commercial building back on track. Contact us today by filling out our contact form, stopping in to say hello, or by giving us a call at (218) 692-1070. We’re here to help come up with an affordable plan to repair, remodel, or rebuild to your specifications. We’ll do all we can to become your Builder for Life.